Featured Advertisers
  Register Search FAQ Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic 2-way power meter
2-way power meter
phptek
Regular Poster

Hi everyone,

I first posted this over on EcoBob but wanted to see if there were any experts here too.

We will ultimately be exporting energy to the grid from our new home. The electrician will be installing the power meter in the house any week/day now and am not convinced by his statements that the meter will simply run backwards and the power comapny can bill accordingly.

That can't be the case given the differing rates power utilities will / will-be charging for power fed into the grid.

Any ideas of where or what models of meter I should instruct him to install as I don't think he knows.

Cheers
Russ

I would have thought that it would be the electricity retailer who would install a meter. I would expect that the meter would measure both energy in and energy out and the retailer reads both each month (or so) and bills you for the net amount (or provides a credit?)
phptek
Regular Poster

Nikoftime wrote:
I would have thought that it would be the electricity retailer who would install a meter. I would expect that the meter would measure both energy in and energy out and the retailer reads both each month (or so) and bills you for the net amount (or provides a credit?)

Thanks for that but AFAIK, having spoken to the sparky, he will be installing the meter. As to who supplies the meter to him (Wholesaler store or power company) I couldn't tell you.

The only way to measure accurately energy in and energy out is to have two meters/"meter-wheels" because what you pay for power and what you will be paid for power (fed into the grid) will be completely different. Although I guess I see what you mean, the power company might be able to calculate the KwH fed back, and re-calculate the amount to be paid based on the current tariff.

REFITNZ are working towards FITs in NZ though.

I'm not an electrician so I was after anyone who knew about these meters etc or might I be better off holding off until we start to generate power...

Thanks regardless Smile
Russ

Just Started

Russ, I know Genesis offer a system called HomeGen for people like you, see http://www.genesisenergy.co.nz/shadomx/apps/fms/fmsdownload.cfm?file_uuid=7FD3D276-0BFB-4FFF-ACD8-6D5641F427D4&siteName=genesis for details
phptek
Regular Poster

Thank you so much langers, that was immensly useful.

I will now scour the other retailers websites for similar documents

Thanks again! Smile

Just Started

No worries, looking good now. Our renovation plans have stalled as can't sell our house so no funds Sad
phptek
Regular Poster

langers wrote:
No worries, looking good now. Our renovation plans have stalled as can't sell our house so no funds Sad

I'm very sorry to hear that - do you have one house you're trying to sell, while doing another up, is that right? We've spoken before haven't we? (Dreadful memory, I'm sorry) PM me and we can swap emails - we're in P'umu Beach.

Expert - Energy Efficient House Design
Expert - Energy Efficient House Design

Just a quick note: While in most cases you can export to the utility and be paid for the privilege. There are other implications: Mostly Taxes

1. We try to size PV and Wind Systems to a clients budget but try to not to generate more than they use, in other words offsetting grid with alternate energy.

1a If you offset power you no longer pay 12.5% or 15% GST on power you would have otherwise purchased and paid tax on.

1b If you get into a position where you are paid for large power injections, you will need to charge GST and get charged Income tax on money they give you.

For example: In a small 1.24kW Solar PV system, the customer rarely gets into a positive supply position.

We are just doing the numbers for a Dairy Farmer in the SI, where we put in a 30kW wind turbine in a windy location. He uses $6k+ per month in power, this translates into an AVERAGE where the power consumed in two time frames per day, and is twice that of the turbines full capacity at that time. However, the Turbine can put out up to 36kW in a decent wind over long periods, if this happened when he not using power, he gets paid cash and charged taxes for the excess. In this case he can initially write of part of the capital cost as an expense or asset depreciation. We can therefore provide a Turbine that should pay for itself in 2 years, and for as long as it lasts the rest is gravy as the income is sufficient enough to pay him a hansom return and tax money.

Donít expect small systems to have anywhere near the returns. Remember Wind systems only work when its windy and solar only works when is sunny or bright.

Cheers Ron
Eeh.co.nz
Dshh.info