Featured Advertisers
  Register Search FAQ Usergroups Log in  
Reply to topic BRACING UNITS
BRACING UNITS
jimliz
7 Posts - Lucky for some

When designing a house under NZS 3604 a certain number of bracing units are required to brace the building against earthquake and wind loading etc. But in the standard it doesn't say how many units different types of bracing equal. EG. Timber diagonal brace, plywood, gib braceline, strap bracing etc. Does anyone know where you can find out the units for individual bracing types? Very boring question I know but bugs me a fair bit lol Shocked

Expert - DIY & Home Conversions
Expert - DIY & Home Conversions

Hi Jimmie
3604 used to have the ratings per metre - haven't looked in the last but one version. As an alternative you could check out BRANZ or the Winstone Wallboard site - with standard gib board and braceline products, I recall they stated the bracing units per metre for the different systems - including diagonal bracing as a secondary element etc. Good fun exercise to get your head around if you are that way inclined. Either way, very doable with a bit of persistence. Good luck!
BRACING UNITS